[rabbitmq-discuss] memory usage

Valentino Volonghi dialtone at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 01:17:40 GMT 2009

On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:12 AM, Philip Stubbings wrote:

> Hi Matthias, Thank you for your reply.
>
> I used rabbitmqctl to determine the status of my queues and my
> messages are flagged as persistent.
> I have run the same test again, but this time I inject/consume a few
> messages later on, as you suggested.
> However, the memory footprint remains the same:

I kind of have the same behavior, I'm not sure if this was there with
rabbitmq 1.5.0 though.

Basically I have this configuration in a single erlang process:

One box
Outside world
       geoip lookup                                    |
      /                                                            |
  mochiweb  ---> rabbitmq ---> shovel |  ---> central rmq ---> consumers
            \                                                      |
               app logic                                   |

Basically the system works fine and is sort of resistant to certain
system failures.
Under medium/high load though (about 1000 messages per second peak, each
message about 600-800 bytes) memory usage starts to ramp up and when
it comes
down it's only for a couple of seconds.

The interesting thing is that I'm running this behind an haproxy load
balancer
and the client that is under the most load shows this behavior while
the other
remains more or less constant at around 200MB (still a lot but better
than 1.8GB).
Of course when kswapd starts running it takes up 100% of the CPU and
every
gen_server call goes timeout and brings the system to its knees. I
then stop everything
and restart the server that showed the problems (I also have to stop
the benchmark).
Shovel then starts transmitting some logs back and apparently memory
usage goes
back to normal (as much as the other instance that didn't show
problems).

Now... Through haproxy stats interface I can see that 628790 requests
were
completed (and about 1500 had an error due to the timeouts and so on
right during
the failure). On the other hand when I check the logfiles I received
from those
machines I only see 504400 logfiles. 124k of them are missing. If
every message
is about 600 bytes that's roughly 74MB of data missing.

If I list the mnesia dir in the server that failed I see the following:

- -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83M 2009-02-10 00:41 rabbit_persister.LOG
- -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79M 2009-02-10 00:38
rabbit_persister.LOG.previous

So basically those 124k messages are there and not being delivered even
if shovel is connected and is waiting for messages using basic.cosume.

Instead on the other machine where rabbitmq didn't fail I see this:

- -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6.9M 2009-02-10 00:36 rabbit_persister.LOG
- -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  29M 2009-02-10 00:35
rabbit_persister.LOG.previous

which I suppose means that it delivered everything and its queue is
empty.

Considering that this seems to be a load issue I take it's because
shovel
(or the queue processes) don't get nearly enough cpu time from erlang
to process the messages. If this is the case even adding a second shovel
gen_server wouldn't solve anything because rabbitmq doesn't send
anything.

Unfortunately I can't use rabbitmqctl in this configuration for some
reason
that I can't explain, I get the {badrpc,nodedown} and this time it's
not related
to the path from where I start rabbitmqctl but I suppose it's related
to the fact
that I start everything inside a single erlang process.

Also if the case is actually about not getting enough cpu time I
suppose that
having one cpu per 'kind' of process in rabbitmq would help alleviate
this
issue. For example a quad core cpu would a cpu for each of queue,
channel,
exchange, etc.

- --
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone