[rabbitmq-discuss] getting started, broker runs; can't get status

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Wed Feb 4 21:07:19 GMT 2009

Christopher,

christopher hoover wrote:
>> # erl -sname foo -cookie coo
>> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.5 [source] [async-threads:0]
>> [kernel-poll:false]
>>
>> Eshell V5.6.5  (abort with ^G)
>> (foo at myvm)1> net_adm:names().
>> {ok,[{"foo",1292}]}
>> (foo at myvm)2>
>>
>> Exit from there with Ctrl+C Ctrl+C.
>
> This works fine for me as rabbitmq in / (from which the rabbitmq startup
> script fails).  I started from scratch (no rabbitmq or epmd).

It occurs to me that the problem you are seeing may be the same as that
experienced by Billy Chasen, except you are running a more recent
version of Erlang and hence it gets reported slightly differently.

To check whether that is the case, please perform the same test Billy ran:

Locate the rabbitmq-server script - it should live under
/usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/ - and change the line that reads
    exec erl \
    echo erl \
Then try to start the server normally (e.g. with
"/etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start") and send me the output of
/var/log/rabbitmq/startup_log. Do this for both the original init.d
script containing the "cd /", and your modified version containing "cd
/var/lib/rabbitmq".

Regards,

Matthias.