[rabbitmq-discuss] question on exchange type

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 23:21:12 GMT 2009

Daniel,

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Daniel N <has.sox at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't mean to hijack this post so I'll try and be brief.  The use case I'm
> thinking of for time based activation queues is for auditing.
>
> <worker in language x does something >
>   -> Forwards result to next stage
>   -> Sends a message to and audit queue with an activation time so that it
> can "wake up" and check that the task has been completed after a given
> time.

If the application has to handle this, then it could use a simple
client timeout on asynchronous RPC cycle - this is doable without
changing anything in the broker.

However, if you want delayed routing rules based on server side TTLs,
this will have to be implemented in the broker.

> The other, is a priority queue, where a message marked with a high priority
> makes their way to the front of the queue in favor of messages with lower
> priorities.

Sure, that's a plain jane priority queue and is currently in the
works. It is also part of the AMQP spec :-)

Ben