[rabbitmq-discuss] Queuing for an application that does a fair amount of synchronous processing

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Thu Dec 31 15:21:43 GMT 2009

On Dec 31, 2009, at 9:15 AM, vishnu wrote:

> Hi
>    We're looking at building an application that does a fair amount
> of synchronous processing. However we are investigating using a
> queuing system as a messaging bus because some of these processes
> are meant to be reliable. Using a queue helps us guarantee that
> messages are dealt with and avoids us having to right background
> processes to clean up after us.
>
> There are, however, a fair number of operations that are not
> required to be reliable and we are thinking of implementing these
> also through the queue but use non persistent queues. Now the
> concern we have is the kinds of latencies we might see. So I'd like
> to get general feedback on using this approach.

Give us some idea of the data rates you are expecting. I regularly
publish 3000+ messages/second using ruby which isn't exactly known for
its performance. :)  Latency is a millisecond or so for topic
exchanges, and under 1 millisecond for direct and fanout exchanges.
(Exchange type matters due to matching overhead.)

However, since you say that all processing is synchronous, the length
of time to complete that process will be your gating factor.

cr