[rabbitmq-discuss] [Q] fanout exchange same as direct with blank routing key?

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Fri Dec 18 12:06:17 GMT 2009

Matthew Sackman wrote:
> Correct, and the greater the number of different binding keys the direct
> exchange has, the slower it will be. So if performance is important to
> you, and you can get away with using a fanout, do so.

Hmm, this shouldn't be the case; fanout exchanges query the binding
table with a pattern of (name=ExchangeName, key=_), whereas direct
exchanges query it with (name=ExchangeName, key=RoutingKey). The
internal mnesia logic and indexing should be almost identical, as should
the performance; hmm, I'll see if I can measure it this afternoon.

Tony