[rabbitmq-discuss] clustering rabbitmq using ip addresses

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Mon Dec 14 10:30:55 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 09:28:29AM +0000, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> bido wrote:
> > I am wondering why i cannot use rabbit at 192.168.1.3 as nodename for example
> > ??
>
> To do that you need to change the various rabbit scripts to use "long
> names" instead of "short names" by replacing the "-sname" flag with "-name".

There are previous posts on this list how to do this. It's slightly
involved at the moment and not entirely straight forward. This would
indeed allow you to have a node name of rabbit at 192.168.3.2 or whatever,
but as I've said, I've not tested this in a clustered setup and I'm not
100% sure it'll help. To start with, you'll need to edit the
rabbitmq-multi, rabbitmq-server and rabbitmqctl shell scripts (assuming
you're on a unix of some sort) and replace all occurrences of -sname
with -name. You'll also need to be using the latest on our default
branch otherwise you'll likely end up with rabbit.192.168.3.2 at localhost
or somesuch.

It's quite likely that getting your DNS or hosts sorted out will be the
easier route.

Matthew