[rabbitmq-discuss] [Q] fanout exchange same as direct with blank routing key?

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Thu Dec 3 19:01:50 GMT 2009

My question is in the subject.

I think it might be the same to publish to a direct exchange with an
empty string routing key as it is to publish to a fanout exchange
(since fanouts don't honor routing keys). The only difference I can
think of would be that there might be some matching done against the
empty string routing key for delivery through the direct exchange that
is skipped for the fanout exchange. Therefore, a fanout exchange would
have *slightly* better performance versus a direct exchange with an
empty routing key.

Anyone know?

cr