[rabbitmq-discuss] Priorities support in RabbitMQ

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Fri Aug 28 16:48:05 BST 2009

Hi Michal,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 05:41:43PM +0200, Michal Chruszcz wrote:
> I've been analyzing support of message priorities by RabbitMQ and the
> only
> information I've found is the document describing compatibility with
> AMQP
> specification (http://www.rabbitmq.com/specification.html), which states
> that "server MUST implement at least 2 priority levels for basic
> messages"
> and RabbitMQ currently is in the stage of "planned". I assume there is
> no
> support for priorities in RabbitMQ currently. However could any one
> tell me
> something more about this? When it possibly could be included in
> official
> release? I'd really appreciate knowing more details on this as it's a
> feature probably desired by many.

Yes, you're right, RabbitMQ does not support message priorities at all
at the moment, and yes, it is a fairly oft requested feature. We do have
plans to add support for it, but we don't have a release target for it
just yet. I'm afraid I don't have any more information that than -
basically: yes, we know people want it; yes, it's on our todo list; no,
we don't know when it'll get done.

Matthew