[rabbitmq-discuss] Problem with multiple subscribers on the same queue

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 15:58:42 BST 2009

Jason,

On 8/24/09, Jason J. W. Williams <jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll have to check our code but I think we handle this by not ack'ing
> the message. The ineffecient part is it may be reassigned to another
> consumer who also can't handle it.

Yep, that will certainly work if the original consumer nukes the
channel that they were subscribed on.

It's a heavyweight way of rejecting the message, which, as is well
known, is not really possible to do otherwise with Rabbit ATM.

Also, as you say yourself, it is an inefficient way of doing a
selective receive.

The ideal scenario would be to have better routing rules combined with
the ability to do a reject to mop up unexpected messages (whether or
not this actually implements the *exact* semantics of the basic.reject
command).

Ben