[rabbitmq-discuss] load balancing for consummer

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 11:45:23 BST 2009

Benoit,

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Benoit Chesneau<bchesneau at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've a consummer using erlang-rabbitmq-client
> http://www.friendpaste.com/1vohm5UA0oZpcDyONuikHy.
>
> it workss well,but if rabbitmq server hangs all the app hangs. Seem
> I'm unable to catch the EXIT message from channel gen_serv,  I've the
> idee to setup a rabbitmq cluster and if one node fails just use
> another using a list of connexions. I odn't know if it's possible.
> Obviously I should the same on the sender. Any idee ow I could simply
> do some loadbalancing to another rabbitmq node ? If I could catch the
> EXIT part I may eventually be abble  to do that. Maybe there are
> better solution.

Your general strategy of maintaining a list of nodes to failover to
seems ok. There are possibly a few details that are making this a
little difficult ATM:

- There is a known issue in the client surrounding the way events are
propagated to the application in the scenario that the broker forces
the connection to close. This has been outstanding for a while and is
due to fixed soon;

- You can actually link the amqp_channel process if you wanting to
trap exits - use start_network_link/1 instead of start_network/1;

Ben