[rabbitmq-discuss] method-like calls

Garrett Smith g at rre.tt
Tue Aug 18 16:13:58 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Michael Greene<michael.greene at gmail.com> wrote:
> We currently use Apache Thrift for this, and have had success with it over
> the past year of use.

I'd second this.

There is some release management overhead in using Thrift or Protobuf,
so I'd also consider using JSON for the message payload. If your
schema changes a lot and you don't have massive throughput
requirements, I'd lean toward JSON just for its flexibility and solid
language support.

IIRC, we showed that JSON in Python was over 20x slower than Thrift at
encoding/decoding for messages that were basically hash maps (~10
fields, 512K total size). But unless your performance requirements are
unusually demanding, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Garrett