[rabbitmq-discuss] Weird Crash (91MB message over STOMP) [Reproducible]

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Sun Aug 9 09:58:18 BST 2009

Darien,

Darien Kindlund wrote:
> The perl code below will generate a ~96MB message and send it to
> RabbitMQ via STOMP.  The exchange and destination need not even exist
> on the server -- just as long as there's a valid vhost.  Once the
> message is sent, RabbitMQ v1.6.0 will crash before the STOMP client
> has a chance to even disconnect.

Thanks for the code. I can reproduce the problem, even for the minimal
case of using the default exchange (thus ensuring no error occurs) and
non-persistent messages, i.e.

$stomp->send({
      'destination'   => 'bar',
      'body'          => "a" x 100_000_000 . "\n",
  });

I reckon the cause is some inefficiency in the way we process stomp
bodies, causing the server to allocate far more memory than it ought to.

Shouldn't be too hard to track down and fix. Will do so hopefully this week.

Thanks again for your detailed bug report and constructing such a simple
test case. Saves us a lot of time.

Regards,

Matthias