[rabbitmq-discuss] Queues and auto_delete

Garrett Smith g at rre.tt
Thu Aug 6 22:35:57 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Ben Hood<0x6e6562 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Garrett,
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Garrett Smith<g at rre.tt> wrote:
>> I'm switching over from qpid (which does provide a delay before
>> auto-deleting) so am trying to sort through any redesigns I'll need.
>> Sounds like I'll want to set auto-delete to false and explicitly
>> handle queue deletion from the clients.
>
> Is there any reason why you are switching from qpid?

qpid is an outstanding project, well run with high quality code. I
have had nothing but positive experiences, with one significant
exception, not related to qpid itself...

qpid has quite a few external dependencies and we've had a couple of
breakages from routine upgrades. We've been able to work around them,
but rabbitmq as an OTP application sits in a well known VM and
application architecture and I expect that to offer greater stability
across upgrades.

We also may be introducing more Erlang into out environment.

Basically, consolidation and simplification of core technology.