[rabbitmq-discuss] Recovering from power failure

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed Aug 5 16:21:11 BST 2009

Hi again,

tsuraan wrote:
> Yeah, there is a .previous file.  it looks like the
> rabbit_persister.LOG is 8 bytes, and the .previous file is ~140MB.

Ah, that's a relief. That's exactly what's supposed to happen :-)

> The contents of the .previous file look pretty good; at least the
> message contents look reasonable from hexdump.  Should the persister
> process know how to replace a corrupt log file with the .previous
> file?

Possibly; please see previous discussions of this question, e.g.
http://www.nabble.com/Diagnosing-a-problem-to24607945.html#a24710794

As Matthias says in that thread, "The replacing really should happen
automatically. This has been discussed as a possible enhancement on the
mailing list before, but the new persister is going to be ready soon, so
we are not planning any enhancements to the old one."

> Also, if I'm using transactions everywhere, would that
> .previous contain the queue states after the last successful commit?

Yes, that's right. Any incomplete transactions are discarded on recovery.

Regards,
  Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net