[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Erlang Client

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Thu Apr 23 23:00:55 BST 2009

Ryan,

Ryan Kaulakis wrote:
> 1) What is the preferred way of using the erlang client for RabbitMQ?
> I've seen examples that deal directly with the amqp_channel and
> amqp_connection modules directly (with records like
> #'queue.declare_ok'{} and such), but there also seems to be a lib_amqp
> module as well. Is one more stable that the other?

lib_amqp contains convenience wrappers for the amqp_{connection,channel}
functions. In some cases they can save quite a bit of typing for common
uses of AMQP. However, the wrappers are rather ad-hoc and do not provide
anywhere near complete coverage of the AMQP functionality. Personally I
prefer to just use the core functions. YMMV.

In theory the wrappers could insulate you somewhat from changes at the
protocol level, but because of their ad-hoc nature they are actually
more likely to change than the protocol. Also, the use of default values
in the record definitions provide some a degree of stability in the
presence of protocol changes.

> 2) What header file are all of those AMQP specific records defined
> (like #'queue.declare')? I'm guessing that they're auto-generated
> somewhere but I'd like to take a look at what is actually out there.

rabbit_framing.hrl, which is indeed auto-generated and can be found in
the server "binary" packages.

> 3) What plans are there for supporting AMQP 1-0 when the standard is
> approved?

Please ask that question again nearer the time :)

Regards,

Matthias.