[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ dying during evaluation testing

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue Apr 21 23:32:08 BST 2009

Jacek,

Jacek wrote:
> Anyway, as part of our test I wrote a *very* simple client that posts a few
> million short messages. It seems to work very well for the first few
> million, but after the first few runs RabbitMQ seems to die.

You have no consumers on the queue, so the messages the producer sends
will just pile up at the server and eventually RabbitMQ will run out of
memory.

Flow control should kick in and throttle the producer, but the default
memory threshold of 95% is probably too high for the server to notice
the memory pressure before its too late - see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/admin-guide.html#memsup for adjusting the threshold.

We are working on disk-queues that will allow RabbitMQ to retain more
message data than fits into memory.

Regards,

Matthias