[rabbitmq-discuss] Messaging at SecondLife

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 14:05:13 BST 2009

Alexis Richardson wrote:
> 2009/4/6 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at imatix.com>:
>> Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
>>> SecondLife tried to evaluate several messaging solutions and a writeup of
>>> the (quite sobering) results can be found here:
>>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Message_Queue_Evaluation_Notes
>> Their scenario (load-balancing queues across several network locations)
>> is pretty exotic. It's no surprise that none of the messaging systems
>> supports it out of the box. AFAIK even MQ series or Tibco doesn't
>> support this kind of thing. Interesting article though.
>
> Indeed.
>
> They actually have several use cases, not all of which are documented
> here.  It's a very well structured analysis though.
>
> If you extra nice to Brian Sullivan he may chat about some of their
> use cases on this list.

I'd be interested in understanding the comments around SSL and AMQP in
more detail. AMQP to date has defined a special port for SSL/TLS based
connections and to me that certainly seems an entirely acceptable
solution (and one that is used already by implementations).

The upcoming 1.0 draft allows TLS to be started after the protocol
'header' has been exchanged allowing the same port to be used for both
SSL and clear connections. Is that the only thing missing? or are there
other problems?

Also, can anyone explain the term 'cross-colo' to me? I've never come
across that before.

--Gordon.