[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl problems on Mac OS X (10.5)

Dave Woodward dave at futuremint.com
Thu Apr 2 20:23:46 BST 2009

I ran into an issue where I the rabbitmq-server would run just fine (as
evidenced by ps output, and also using net_adm in erl to see it).  Also all
of my permissions we correct in terms of what user the server was running as
well as the user for rabbitmqctl.

However, I could not get rabbitmqctl to be able to talk to the server at all
(no matter what I put in the -n flag on the command line, or what I set the
RABBITMQ_NODE_IP_ADDRESS to).

To fix it, I simply added an entry in /etc/hosts for the output of 'hostname
-s' to 127.0.0.1.

I guess erlang uses the output of 'hostname -s' to determine what host it is
running on.  In my case, hostname -s output my Computer Name (from the
Sharing pane in System Preferences), which ended up resolving to the
external IP address of my router.  OS X wants to you put ".local" after your
computer name to signify localhost.  This is in OS X version 10.5 (Leopard).

Hope this helps others troubleshoot!  Thanks also for those who helped out
in #rabbitmq.

Dave Woodward
www.futuremint.com
317.332.6438 | dave at futuremint.com