[rabbitmq-discuss] erlang client API: transactions

Edwin Fine rabbitmq-discuss_efine at usa.net
Wed Sep 24 02:26:22 BST 2008

True - I stand corrected.

For the purposes of this argument it doesn't really matter, because the
persister log is still in the mnesia directory - the point is that the
directory should be moved to a separate disk to partition the I/O. If mnesia
tables have a great deal of I/O as well, then the persister log itself
should be moved somewhere else. The point is also that I/O (and memory, and
CPU) should be measured if performance is a concern.

Unfortunately the word "log" has become overloaded. It can mean a log as in
a journal, which is what I believe the persister log is, or as a message
log, which is what I was referring to. I have seen excessive
*message*logging bring systems to their knees. In many cases, people
were unaware
that the message logging was even happening. A web server might be logging
every single access to a message log, or something else might be running
with debug logging turned on. I was just trying to point out that this could
be an issue. I know Rabbit has very little message logging by default,
except for (at one time) that annoying realm log message.