[rabbitmq-discuss] error connecting to rabbitmq node

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Mon Sep 15 19:59:18 BST 2008

Sarah,

Sarah Jelinek wrote:
> I am a new user to rabbitmq. I got the rabbitmq server pkg installed on
> my ubuntu, Hardy system. I started the server, and after some tweaking
> to the erlang path(-pa) value it started the server correctly. When
> installing the rabbitmq-server pkg via apt-get or even dpkg it installs
> the utilities in /usr/sbin/, but the rabbitmq* scripts expect to be able
> to see the 'ebin' directory at '../ebin'.

You shouldn't have to tweak the erlang load path; the RabbitMQ Erlang
code gets installed alongside the Erlang/OTP libraries, so should be
picked up automatically.

What error did you get when you tried starting the server prior to
modifying the path?

> when I try to see the status, etc.. of this using rabbitmqctl,
> I always get:
>
>> rabbitmqctl status
>> Status of node rabbit at re ...
>> {badrpc,nodedown}
>> done.

> My log file says this:
> =ERROR REPORT==== 15-Sep-2008::18:42:36 ===
> ** Connection attempt from disallowed node rabbitmqctl27468 at re **

This looks like an Erlang .cookie mismatch. The most likely cause is
that you started rabbit as a user other than 'rabbitmq'. The scripts
installed by the .deb into /usr/sbin expect the server to be running as
the 'rabbitmq' user, which is what the init.d scripts start it under.

Regards,

Matthias.