[rabbitmq-discuss] txAMQP and multiple queues per channel

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 09:52:21 BST 2008

David,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:15 AM, David Sackett
<rabbitmq-discuss at davidsackett.com> wrote:
> What is the correct way to consume from multiple queues with txAMPQ? Should
> each channel only consume from one queue? How can I safely initialise all my
> channels and queues and latter consume from other queues once in operation?

I am going to let Esteve comment on txAMQP but I can make a few
general points about the protocol semantics:

- Subscriptions are identified by a consumer tag. This is effectively
a hint that the broker gives to the client to indicate to whom the
message should be farmed out to, so in general, a client library
*should* maintain a mapping between a consumer tag and reference to a
consumer instance.

- You *can* have multiple subcriptions per channel and also multiple
consumers per channel (refer here for reasons why you may or may not
do this - http://hopper.squarespace.com/blog/2008/10/6/multithreading-amqp-clients.html).

- A channel could be construed as the broker's view on a client side
thread (see same article) - but in any case it is merely a stateful
conversation between both peers.

- Declaring entities in AMQP is akin to an assertion of existence -
see here more a more detailed discussion -
http://hopper.squarespace.com/blog/2008/10/7/consumer-driven-messaging.html

HTH,

Ben