[rabbitmq-discuss] [lord at codeminders.com: problems running rabbitmq on macos]

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 18:08:29 GMT 2008

Vadim,

I'm answering this question via the Rabbit discussion list.

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Ben Hood <ben at lshift.net> wrote:
> I am trying to run rabbitmq under MacOS. I have installed it using
> macports port.
> The server starts:
>
> mbenzi /Users/lord# /opt/local/sbin/rabbitmq-server start

> However rabbitmqctl fails:
>
> mbenzi /opt/local/var/log/rabbitmq# /opt/local/sbin/rabbitmqctl status
> Status of node rabbit at mbenzi ...
> {badrpc,nodedown}
> done.

I'm not an expert at the macports version of Rabbit, but I think this
may be due to fact that the rabbitmq-server command and the
rabbitmqctl commands we executed by different users.

AFAICT the installed version of rabbitmqctl does an su to the rabbitmq user.

At a wild guess, I would say that /etc/default/rabbitmq may start the
server as the rabbitmq user, but I'm not a lawyer.

We're going to get clarification from the author of the port, so I'll
get back to you on this.

In the meantime, I can suggest three things (in descending order of ease):

1. Run the server as su rabbitmq;
2. Have a look at another way to install Rabbit on OSX here:
http://playtype.net/past/2008/10/9/installing_rabbitmq_on_osx/
3. Yet a another way to get Rabbit going on OSX:
http://hopper.squarespace.com/blog/2008/11/15/how-i-install-rabbitmq-on-osx.html

> 70736   ??  S      0:00.02 /opt/local/lib/erlang/erts-5.6.5/bin/epmd -

You're using R12B-5 - can I assume that this was installed by macports for you?

BTW, be aware the macports version of Rabbit is quite old - 1.4.0 is
the current release and there will soon be a new release.

HTH,

Ben