[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ starting problem on R12B-5

ferrety ferrety yferrety at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 23:30:46 GMT 2008

Hi Mathias,

>> Even RB12R5 and rabbitmq from mercurial failed to run.
>
> What error are you getting when trying the Erlang R12B-5 /
> rabbitmq-from-mercurial combination?

On R12B-4, here's the problem:

$ /etc/init.d/rabbitd start
RabbitMQ 1.4.0 (AMQP 8-0)
Copyright (C) 2007-2008 LShift Ltd., Cohesive Financial Technologies
LLC., and Rabbit Technologies Ltd.
Licensed under the MPL.  See http://www.rabbitmq.com/

Logging to "/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit.log"
SASL logging to "/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit-sasl.log"

starting database             ...done
starting core processes       ...done
starting recovery             ...Erlang has closed
{"init terminating in
do_boot",{{nocatch,{error,{cannot_start_application,rabbit,{{bad_type,realm_exchange,{realm_resource,'_',<<12
bytes>>}},{rabbit,start,[normal,[]]}}}}},[{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()

> My colleagues have been using that combination without any problems.

We did it too. But when movinf to R12-B5 we noticed that Rabbit failed to run.
So, we want to come back to R12-B4 with no success.

>> I'm unable now to fallback and get it running with R12B4
>> and rabbitmq-1.4.0 as before.
>
> Again, what error are you seeing? We know of several people who are running
> the R12B-4 / 1.4.0 combination, so it definitely works.

Something is definitly related to Rabbit Mathias.
All our Erlang apps run perfectly when moving to R12-B5. And they are
running very well when we decide to
fallback to R12-B4.

So?

>> =CRASH REPORT==== 19-Nov-2008::16:58:38 ===
>> [...]
>
> That looks like rabbitmq-1.4.0 running on R12B-5, which won't work.
>

> I recommend performing an installation of Erlang R12B-4 and rabbitmq-1.4.0
> on a "clean" system, i.e. a system that has never had Erlang or RabbitMQ
> installed on it. If that works, which it hopefully will, then we can try
> working out what went wrong previously.

We did that 2 times today Mathias. Same result on 2 diffrent machines
under Linux :
* Linux Fedora 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 #1 SMP Fri Nov 10 12:45:28 EST 2006
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
* gcc 4.1.1
* Bi Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
* 1Go

No other application is running on these two boxes except our Erlang
app's and the expected RabbitMQ.

> Regards,

Any advices?

N.B: I've already send the "erl_crash.dump" last time I reported that.

Regards
Ferret