[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue Paging - Disk Overflow

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 01:00:44 GMT 2008

Ed,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Edwin Fine
<rabbitmq-discuss_efine at usa.net> wrote:
> Count me in too. Heck, (he said generously), make it $10!

OK, I've added a donate button to the lettuce site so that you can
take care of your Rabbit :-)

> Seriously, though, I don't want to be an ass about this, but I would think
> that there are now enough people (namely, non-paying customers ;) with
> enough valid use cases making enough noise about this particular issue, to
> warrant bumping it to the top of the Rabbit architectural issues list. When
> someone cannot even restart a node to drain the persister log after the node
> crashes with OOM, and has to delete the persister log, you know that there's
> a significant design deficiency to be remedied post-haste.

That wasn't a design deficiency, that's just how we chose to implement
it. Design-wise, it is reasonably easy to incorporate.

>- but I think it's reasonable to say that it's
> time to spend the estimated 3 work-weeks (I assume 120 work-hours) to remedy
> this. The cost of this should not be extreme. Let me put my project-manager
> hat on here... unless I am badly out of touch, one of your team shouldn't
> cost much more than, say, $80/hour at contract rates, so you are talking
> $10K to fix this (if I am wrong, and the rates are higher than that, PLEASE
> can I work for you? ;).

10K would probably do it, but that's not our daily rate -   we'd do it
because of the cause.

Yes, we could probably outsource some AS/400 stuff to you ;-)

> Is there a way you could beg, borrow or
> venture-capital this to fast-track it?

:-)

Ben