[rabbitmq-discuss] Packaging

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 15:48:21 GMT 2008

Edwin,

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Edwin Fine
<rabbitmq-discuss_efine at usa.net> wrote:
> In terms of an earlier email about how to package the clients and server, I
> see it like this: repackage (and optionally refactor) the server into
> server-specific components and common components. Make the common components
> a separate Erlang app; ditto for client and server, and have the server and
> client depend on this app. Put in checks on both server and client side that
> they are running with a suitable version of the common app, and fail with a
> clear warning message if this is not the case. Make it easy for users to
> know which version of the common app the client or server depend on,
> preferably a simple script that invokes Erlang to delve into the guts and
> bring out the answer.

I for one would be interested to see if there is any value in turning
Rabbit into a proper Erlang release. My knowledge on the subject is
surface deep at best but it seems that there may be some nice to haves
(e.g. code upgrades). At the end of the day, I shouldn't imagine that
most users mind where the binaries sit and where the log file goes,
just as long as there's an easy way to start and stop it, run
rabbitmqctl and have the server boot on startup. Given the work that
you've done in this context, could you map out in more concrete terms
what this would look like?

Ben