[rabbitmq-discuss] Exchanges, Routing, and AMQP

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Sun Nov 9 17:55:26 GMT 2008

Ben Hood wrote:
> Peter,
>
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Peter Silva <Peter.A.Silva at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's strange... maybe I'm just getting confused by
>> a client code... Here is an example from the demo in py-amqplib...
>>
>>  ch.basic_publish(msg, EXCHANGE_NAME, routing_key=topic)
>>
>> the 'routing_key' in this api, afaict, is one of three keywords: topic,
>> fanout, direct.   what is called exchange_type in the AMQP spec.
>
> Are you referring to amqp_clock.py?
>
> If so, I think that the topic is a the name of a string variable:
>
> TOPIC_PATTERN = '%Y.%m.%d.%w.%H.%M' # Python datetime.strftime() pattern
> topic = now.strftime(TOPIC_PATTERN)
> ch.basic_publish(msg, EXCHANGE_NAME, routing_key=topic)

Peter:

I can see where that could be a bit confusing to have a variable with
the same name as an exchange type.

I've updated the example in Mercurial to use a different variable name
so it now says:

   msg_topic = now.strftime(TOPIC_PATTERN)
   ch.basic_publish(msg, EXCHANGE_NAME, routing_key=msg_topic)

	Barry