[rabbitmq-discuss] Question about configuration of queues

Beene, William R. beenewilliamr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 00:08:00 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Ben Hood <0x6e6562 at gmail.com> wrote:
> William,
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Beene, William R.
> <beenewilliamr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Because then the producers would have to know about all of the consumers.
>
> That's a fair point - in general one would want to decouple production
> from consumption.
>
> It sounds to me that you are looking for some kind of trigger that is
> based on queue depth - like you were maintaining a buffet at a
> restaurant. Maybe you can elaborate on your actual use case so that we
> can put this into context.
>
> Should your application be contingent on a specific depth, you may
> consider polling depth on a per-queue basis and conditionally starting
> consumption.
>
> If it is OTOH dependent on a batch of work being pre-initialized, then
> you could consider sending a poison pill that would signify the
> completion of the production phase.
>
> HTH,
>
> Ben

Hi Ben,

I am not entirely sure what you mean by queue depth. This is my first
time dealing with
AMQP. Our scenario is that we have several producers of data and
several consumers.
All consumers want to get all of the data from all of the producers
for the most part.
I don't want to worry about start up order and I also don't want to
worry about how to
handle a consumer losing the connection and missing several messages
when it reconnects.
If possible I would like to be able to solve these using AMQP.

Thanks,
William