[rabbitmq-discuss] Questions about how best to use RabbitMQ

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:12:17 GMT 2008

Steve,

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Steve Jenson <stevej at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see, so we wouldn't be able to take advantage of fanout exchanges?
> Fanout exchanges seem efficiently implemented such that each queue
> doesn't keep an individual copy of the message. If we can't use fanout
> exchanges, that would seem to indiciate increased memory pressure on
> the broker?

I don't know if follow this. Are you saying that messages routed to
queues using a fanout exchange are not copied, rather each queue holds
a reference to each unique message?

> Very interesting. Do you mean capabilities in the KeyKOS/E language sense?

I guess, but I don't want put my hand in the fire because I am not an
expert on this subject.

Essentially I am referring to an alternative to plain jane ACLs, for
example as described here:
http://www.eros-os.org/essays/ACLSvCaps.html

> I would be happy to give our motivations for we're hoping to achieve.
> We want to be able to setup partners with access to queues where they
> can read and ACK read items without being able to create new exchanges
> or queues. We want a single user to be able to setup exchanges and
> bind queues to that exchange.

Sounds reasonable, plausible (and quite fine grained :-).

Hence there was an inclination to investigate capabilities - so that
access restrictions could be placed on an arbitrary entity as opposed
to having to classify types of objects and restrict them with an ACL.

Ben