[rabbitmq-discuss] question about cluster failover

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at cohesiveft.com
Mon Nov 3 21:48:07 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I am posting this question on behalf of a new RabbitMQ user who cannot
at this time post to the list - which is where we prefer to post
questions in order to build up the knowledge base.

I consider replacing Tibco EMS with Rabbit MQ for our application.
Fault tolerance and scalability are the most important features to
compare. I reviewed documentation of RabbitMQ regarding clustering as
well as the Java APIs, and I am still not sure how this works. I would
appreciate clarification.

Suppose I have two hosts with RabbitMQ installed on each of them and
configured to form a cluster. I want my Java application to connect to
the cluster.

What host parameter do I specify in ConnectionFactory API?

Assume subscriber application creates a number of subscriptions and
publisher application publishes on them. One of the hosts in the
cluster goes down. Is this transparent to my Java applications? Are
the subscriptions preserved on the second host in the cluster?

Assume I have many publishers messaging with many consumers at some
constant rate for each publisher. Will adding hosts to the cluster
increase the capacity of the system linearly in terms of max number of
consumers and producers? Can you explain?

-- End quote

Cheers,

alexis