[rabbitmq-discuss] TCP timeouts

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Fri May 9 07:04:48 BST 2008

David,

David.Corcoran at edftrading.com wrote:
> It looks like you were right about the java version. Running in java
> 1.5.0.15 doesn't work. Running in java-6-openjdk or java-6 (1.6.0.06) works
> fine. I think it's a bug, perhaps related to this:
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6383015

Interesting. Yes, that looks like it would explain the behaviour you saw.

> I've attached the code that displays the problem. Putting back the
> Thread.yield() in java 5 makes it work, but obviously isn't a viable
> solution.

In the absence of even the most basic fairness guarantees from the jvm -
such as no starvation - asking programmers to insert Thread.yield() in
strategic places is about he best you can do.

Thanks for the analysis. It will save users a lot of time when running
across the same problem.

Matthias.