[rabbitmq-discuss] Fw: Errors using Windows .NET Client Library

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Sun Mar 30 19:03:07 BST 2008

Hi again,

BillC wrote:
> If I make code changes such that I change the protocol to AMQP_0_8 in my
> app.config file and then set the protocol as
> Protocols.FromConfiguration("my-protocol");
> Then I am able to connect and I don't get the same exception.  Is this
> the expected behavior?

Yes, it is, for the current release, anyway. The RabbitMQ .NET client
library supports

  - stock AMQP 0-9 brokers (and this is the default setting)
  - stock AMQP 0-8 brokers (like RabbitMQ's current release)
  - some of QPid's extensions to the AMQP 0-8 specification

Furthermore, because RabbitMQ is the only broker that implements the
"access.request" method, there's a way of disabling the use of
access.request on the client side.

At the time we developed the library, we were commissioned to make it
work by default against a stock 0-9 broker. Perhaps we should try some
kind of automatic graceful-downgrade renegotiation instead. Hmm.

> and further does the RabbitMQ server only
> support AMQP 0-8?

It does, yes. So far!

> And if the examples are primarily targeted for
> RabbitMQ then why have the default to AMQP 0-9 such that you have to
> explicitly change the protocol to 0-8 when running against RabbitMQ?

We tried to make the examples broker-neutral - they should work on *any*
AMQP 0-8 or 0-9 broker. So really I guess we should be looking at ways
of avoiding the having-to-set-the-protocol-version problem...

Regards,
   Tony