[rabbitmq-discuss] Problem running rabbit broker

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Mon Jun 2 07:41:47 BST 2008

Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> Some operating systems have mnesia in an optional erlang package that's
> not installed as part of the base erlang system - for instance, Ubuntu
> is rumoured to need you to "apt-get install erlang", rather than simple
> erlang-base, in order to get things to work. (This isn't something I've
> experienced personally, so I could have the details wrong!)

The Erlang debian packages have mnesia and all the other otp modules in
the 'erlang-nox' package. That module depends on 'erlang-base', which
contains the vm.

> (I'm not sure if this is a bug in our Debian package dependencies or
> not. Any reports from the field?)

The rabbitmq-server debian packages depends on 'erlang-nox', so mnesia
should definitely be dragged in as a dependency if users install the
RabbitMQ .debs.

However, I believe Lahiru installed the generic unix packages rather
than the .debs, otherwise he would not have had to set up paths and
permissions; the .debs take care of all that.

Matthias.