[rabbitmq-discuss] Need help with Rabbit STOMP client

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:18:04 BST 2008

Pete,

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Pete Kay <petedao at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am going to write a Java Client that listens on messages from multiple
> clustered servers using socket, filters the messages, and publishes the
> useful ones to RabbitMQ.  Previously, I have this written in C but since
> there is no C client for RabbitMQ, I am going to rewirte it in Java.

The alternative to this would be to write a AMQP client in C :-) Once
you have understood the AMQP model, this is not a hard thing to do,
and we have a guide about how to develop AMQP clients for the language
of your choice. So if you're keen, you will learn a lot about the AMQP
in general, which will be very valueable for any message based
application development. Just a thought.

> For the Flex side, I guess I have to use STOMP, but for the publishing side,
> I am thinking to use AMQP as there seems to be more examples available for
> reference.  Will that work?

Have you looked at the AS3 client for AMQP as opposed to STOMP?

http://github.com/0x6e6562/as3-amqp/tree/master

Here is one example usage:
http://hopper.squarespace.com/blog/2008/7/4/server-side-as3.html

If you look in the AS3 category on that blog, you will see more examples.

> What I still don't understand is how the routingkey, ticket, and exchange
> concepts map to the destination in STOMP.

If you don't really need to use STOMP, you can use plain jane AMQP
with the AS3 library I mentioned above, so the semantics are identical
to those of the Java AMQP client.

HTH,

Ben