[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ/AMQP understanding

Holger Hoffstätte holger at wizards.de
Fri Aug 22 16:39:36 BST 2008

On 8/22/08, Ben Hood <0x6e6562 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >    2. Is there a way to notify clients like B and C that there is a message
>  > for them in one of their queues? Or do you have to poll the queue to find
>  > out if there is something for you? (Basically this is a question of using a
>  > interrupt like thing vs polling.)
>
> If a client subscribes to a queue, the channel will deliver messages
>  to it as and when they are routed, so there is no need to poll
>  explicitly. If for some reason you need to poll, there is a method
>  called basic.get which allows you to poll a queue.
>
>  BTW, are you asking this question in the context of the API of a MOM
>  system that you have used in the past?

I was wondering the same - to me it sounds like he might be looking
for the equivalent of a JMS MessageListener (with delivery in a thread
pool etc.) and I don't think that's something the Java client lib can
do right now.
Torben, can you clarify what language you are planning to use and
whether this is what you meant with "polling vs. interrupt"?

Holger