[rabbitmq-discuss] Information about EndlessSummerOfCode

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 09:56:14 BST 2008

Hi Lahiru,

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:08 AM, lahiru gunathilake <lahiru at apache.org> wrote:
> I'm a Google Summer of Code student who's implementing management console
> for Apache Qpid. I'm interested on having some more information about
> EndlessSummerOfCode and I'm more than happy to work on the first project
> (Implement a management facility for RabbitMQ).

Great!

The intention behind the Endless Summer Of Code (apart from
shamelessly ripping off two well known concepts) was to give the
Rabbit community some kind of indication of the types of mini-projects
that individuals could undertake if they felt like contributing to the
project and the community in general.

We are constantly hearing about feature requests and things that would
be cool if only Rabbit could do it.

A lot of this stuff is potentially low hanging fruit.

Unfortunately, the core dev team does not have the resources to do all
of these things themselves.

And a lot of time, we also don't fully know what feature X should like
exactly, which is why we need community involvement.

So that's why I've started to maintain a publicly visible list of
things that one could get involved with.

The modus operandi would be to

- take up contact via the list to signal your intention,
- start a discussion,
- get some background from us,
- maybe get some input from other like-minded people from the list,
- and then do it.

And this does not have to be code, either. It could be

- writing some documentation,
- writing an article,
- drawing some explanatory diagrams,
- collating extrernal resources,
- helping out with the wiki
- or anything that you feel that was missing when you were new to Rabbit.

I'll answer the question about the management in a separate post.

HTH,

Ben