[rabbitmq-discuss] Meez status.

matt matt at corp.meez.com
Fri Nov 9 04:48:05 GMT 2007

Ok, I think we *might* be out of the woods.  Earlier in the day Alexis
& Co. told us that publishing on the channel might not be thread safe
in our application.  We made a change earlier in the day, but it looks
like it never really made it to production.  Verified this evening
about an hour ago and now things are running better w/ the sync block
around on the publish calls.  We think that the frames were getting
clobbered and as a result killing the connection and giving us socket
closed exceptions.  We saw this at one point while running the trace:

  Exception in thread "Thread-4"
com.rabbitmq.client.UnexpectedFrameError
  at com.rabbitmq.client.impl.AMQCommand
$Assembler.handleFrame(AMQCommand.java:291)
  at com.rabbitmq.tools.Tracer$DirectionHandler.doFrame(Tracer.java:158)
  at com.rabbitmq.tools.Tracer$DirectionHandler.run(Tracer.java:170)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

This was our biggest traffic day in history - a ton of which is coming
from AOL.  In the last hour or so we've pushed about 48k requests
through a single broker and the payload is about 5k each.

That said, things are looking better.  Now we have sluggish publish
times because everyone's blocked on the publish.  However, I think we
can just create more channels and spread the load that way.  We also
have a subset of export requests that should get processed first
before others, so we'll be leveraging the priority level in the
protocol.  Real excited about that.

Many thanks to the rabbitMQ team.  You guys have a responsiveness
that's unheard of!

-matt

--
Matt Darling