[rabbitmq-discuss] OpenAMQ vs. RabbitMQ

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at cohesiveft.com
Mon Jul 23 10:57:30 BST 2007

Michael

Both products are mature and useful.  I do not want to discuss
commercial models on this list, so instead shall note the following:

1. The RabbitMQ broker is available under a Mozilla license, MPL 1.1,
and the clients under several licenses.  The OpenAMQ broker is
available under a GPL license, the clients under BSD.

2. I think it is fair to say we have different roadmaps.  I do not
want to speculate on the OpenAMQ roadmap on the RabbitMQ list - it
would not be appropriate.  We want to make best use of what Erlang/OTP
can do - see the FAQ - and I think you'll see more of a bias from us
towards integration with feature-rich business process components, eg
Mule, and some of the FIX products.  On the other hand I think the
iMatix guys are very interested in 'fast and simple' use cases around
transient messaging and multicast.

Please also note that the current releases of RabbitMQ is 1.0, which
implements AMQP 0-8.  The current OpenAMQ broker implements AMQP 0-9.
These two versions of AMQP are almost identical.  We are making
another release of RabbitMQ very soon, and AMQP 0-10 is on its way as
well...

Can you let me know if I have answered your question please?

alexis