[rabbitmq-discuss] clustering on google app engine

Jason McIntosh mcintoshj at gmail.com
Sat May 31 06:48:24 BST 2014

Ditto on what Michael said on disk IO.  Rabbit has been rock solid for us
in prod with no partitioning for at least a year and a half+ (We DID have
some operating system issues due to a kernel bug around 208 days of up
time).  Whenever I've seen problems with rabbit, it's because the disk gets
overloaded and rabbit doesn't seem to handle that very well.  I remember at
the 2.8 days running load tests with HIPE and out-right crashing rabbit
after about 5 minutes at a constant 90% disk utilization.  Which reminds me
I need to try some load tests again, see how 3.3 handles things.

Jason

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 5:24 AM, Laing, Michael <michael.laing at nytimes.com>
wrote:

> Experiences vary - we cluster across AWS zones in multiple regions and
> have not had a partition in production in over a year.
>
> I have experimented with this and the basic rules are: always be sure you
> have available compute capacity by over-provisioning your clustered
> instances relative to their load; never go into IO wait state (avoid
> intense disk usage brought on by swapping or needless message persistence).
>
> Also, avoid the us-east-1 region as it has the most usage, oldest
> hardware, highest latencies, and highest incidence of failures.
>
> ml
>

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM, Fei Yao <mail2fei at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>> I'm not an expert on GCE. But if there are in the same zone it will not
>> be considered WAN. We had some experience in AWS, if it's Multi-AZ it will
>> be considered WAN, and we've experience 3 network partitions last year.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>

>> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:46:39 AM UTC-4, Richard Tier wrote:
>>>
>>> The docs <https://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html> on clustering state
>>> that "clustering does not tolerate network partitions well", and states to
>>> avoid clustering on WAN.
>>>
>>> I'm using Google Cloud Engine instances - all of which are in the same
>>> zone.
>>>
>>> Should this setup be considered a WAN?

Jason McIntosh
https://github.com/jasonmcintosh/