[rabbitmq-discuss] dotnet client - Increasing prefetch with BasicQoS during HandleBasicDeliver doesn't trigger retrieval of next message

Jon Stelly jonstelly at gmail.com
Sun May 11 04:55:36 BST 2014

I have a sort of odd scenario.  I want to process 1 message at a time so I
call basic qos with a prefetch of 1 and call BasicConsume(), but sometimes
my processing will end in a long blocking task.  When that happens, I would
like to increase the qos prefetch to 2 to trigger the next message to be
received and processed.  The issue is that I don't want to ack the first
message until after the long blocking process completes successfully.

If I call BasicQoS before acking the first message, the 2nd message isn't
received until after the long running task completes and the ack is sent.
 Can anyone explain what's going on and possibly suggest an alternative?