[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ SDKs and version upgrades

ershad ershad.rahimikia at desire2learn.com
Thu May 1 15:14:37 BST 2014

We are doing experiments using RabbitMQ as a message bus for our service
oriented architecture. One concern that we have is what happens to the
publishers and consumers when we upgrade RabbitMQ. I see on the download page
that for every new version of RabbitMQ a new version of SDK gets released,
does that mean upgrading RabbitMQ but not the SDKs for publishers and
consumers would be a breaking change? This is important for us to know because
each service is implemented by a different team and coordinating SDK version
upgrades would be very difficult for us in future. We were even considering
different options such as adding a middleman service that consumers
(publishers are less of a concern for us) can talk to read from their queues
and that service is responsible for talking to RabbitMQ to protect our
consumers against Rabbit version upgrades. But this is definitely not an ideal
solution for us mainly for performance reasons. Wondering if this is something
that we need to be worried about at all and if there are any better solutions
for that.