[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbit slowing down on accepting messages

Ron Cordell ron.cordell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 17:51:14 GMT 2014

The queues are durable/mirrored; there are ~150 of them involved per
message.

The "140K msgs/hr" value means that a producer places a message on the
inbound queue. The application (consumers of this queue) processes the
messages using an asynchronous state machine that uses AMQP as a means of
pushing data to the next state of the processor (publishes/consumes). For
each state there are 2-3 queues such as process, retry, and error; there
are many states per message type. There are 6 application instances
connecting to the Rabbit cluster to process these messages. As a message
flows through the various states its metadata will flow through these
various queues until the processing activity is completed. We use
MassTransit and the .Net C# Rabbit driver on the application side which
implements this behavior. I mention/describe this to be as complete as
possible as we're not testing a single produce/consume type of scenario -
it's more complex as there are several processing states each
publishing/consuming to many different exchanges/queues.

CPU looked fine, Disk is fine, no latency observed - we're on a SAN capably
of 20K IOPs peak and we're not anywhere close to that.

Publishing is done in the MassTransit implementation using the .Net C#
driver, but it publishes then spawns another thread to wait for the ACK. So
the main processing keeps going, but if there is an exceptional return it
is handled elsewhere/asynchronously.

I did confirm that the entire Erlang process was stopped and restarted on
the Rabbit nodes; we will recreate the issue and try just stopping the app
and restarting. The VM's were not restarted nor were they migrated between
test runs.

Cheers,

Ron