[rabbitmq-discuss] ulimit and cgroup

ratheesh kannoth ratheesh.ksz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 08:47:22 GMT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Michael Klishin <mklishin at gopivotal.com> wrote:

> It depends on message size but once you cross a certain threshold, RabbitMQ
> will try to move messages to disk.
This is the case even if  we don't use durable queues...right ?

> There should be no giant files, though, on disk
> message store will split them into multiple smaller files (16 MB by default, AFAIR).

All these files would be opened and kept. Or will be opened on demand.
Because linux ulimit can set limit on
no of opened files.

> There is a fixed (a few dozens of bytes) RAM cost per message until you use a
> custom queue index plugin, such as rabbitmq-toke [1].

Can you list out other plugins ( and tuning parameters ) through which
i can tune Broker's system resource usage ?

> If RabbitMQ cannot allocate memory or write to a file, of course, there is little it can do, so be
> careful about setting RSS and file size limit.
Will it gracefully shutdown ?  Can you predict the behavior ? it just crash ?

-Ratheesh