[rabbitmq-discuss] Stopping rabbitmq-server: FAILED

Jain, Punit Punit.Jain at emc.com
Thu Mar 6 13:59:31 GMT 2014

In this case "service rabbitmq-server stop" failed with the exit status 2, but, in actual, rabbitmq-server was stopped fine. I verified it by checking processes and the broker's status. "rabbitmq-server stop" is a part of an RPM scriptlet, which does the configuration for RabbitMQ, and it failed due to this error during an upgrade.

Could you please explain the meaning of the return code '2'? We are planning to put a mitigation to avoid some of these types of errors. Also, is there any other return code we should check? It would be best if we could know all the possible return code and their meaning.

Thanks,
Punit