[rabbitmq-discuss] Bringing down Nodes in a cluster

Patrick Long pat at munkiisoft.com
Tue Mar 4 14:58:55 GMT 2014

Michael Klishin <mklishin at ...> writes:

> On 28 Feb 2014, at 12:27, Patrick Long <pat at ...> wrote:
>
> > So I can stop the node by using stop_app or I can stop the RabbitMQ
service on that node. Is one better that the other?

> Stop the service. stop_app does not stop the VM, which may be necessary
with some upgrades
> (e.g. you also want to upgrade the Erlang VM).
>
> Use stop_app when resetting nodes, as described in “Breaking up a cluster”
[1].

> > When Ops want to update a machine that is a Node in a 3 node RabbitMQ
cluster what is the recommended approach?

> > Is it to stop the service on one node, run Windows Update etc etc then
bring that node back. Once that node is
> confirmed move to next node always ensuring there is at least one
synchronised slave?

> See “Breaking up a cluster” in [1].
>
> Removing nodes from the cluster and bringing them back one by one is a
good
> strategy.
>
> HTH.
>
> 1. http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html
>
> MK
>
> Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ

What is the benefit to breaking up the cluster rather than simply stop_app
then stop the service, patching and rebooting?

Is it to stop the cluster trying to find the downed node?

Thanks

pat