[rabbitmq-discuss] Unexaplainable behaviour with shovel plugin.

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Mar 3 12:26:36 GMT 2014

On 28/02/2014 6:14PM, Ben Hood wrote:
> Using federation to implement an AMQP gateway seems like a common
> pattern. One wonders why it didn't go into the AMQP spec ....

I dunno, I think federation is really quite specific (I don't think
there are any other brokers which do it in the same way as RabbitMQ) - I
can see the spec authors not wanting to predict how people will want to
federate.

>> Initially I had thought that the 'new' federation replaced the 'old' shovel,
>> but this is not true - each tool has its place although their capabilities
>> overlap.
>>
>> With easier configuration in 3.3, the lowly shovel may get its due!
>
> It's interesting to see that the shovel still lives on, despite it
> being quite an agricultural component.

I think the concept ("I just want to move the damn messages!") makes a
lot of sense.

If I were creating RabbitMQ from scratch, I might rename the shovel to
something like "point-to-point federation" to make it a bit clearer that
it complements federation rather than being replaced by it.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal