[rabbitmq-discuss] PPA debs restart rabbit

Aaron Westendorf aaron at agoragames.com
Tue Jun 24 16:28:28 BST 2014

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Even "start on first install" has
problems in that there may be other preconditions yet to be set, though it
is less problematic than automatically restarting.

For now, I've changed our Salt states to freeze to a specific version so
that we won't be surprised by a process restart.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Gavin M. Roy <gavinmroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe he's saying that when you install the deb (or upgrade it) it
> automatically starts or restarts rabbitmq-server, causing less than
> desirable behavior.
>
> From: Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
> Reply: Discussions about RabbitMQ rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com
> Date: June 20, 2014 at 1:07:33 PM
> To: Discussions about RabbitMQ rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com, Aaron
> Westendorf aaron at agoragames.com
> Subject:  Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] PPA debs restart rabbit
>
> On 17/06/14 15:54, Aaron Westendorf wrote:
> > We're using the PPA for rabbit but the current debian files are not
> > suitable for production deployments because they stop and restart the
> > process. I understand the desire to start the process if it was not
> > already running, but embedding the restart logic in the deb means that
> > users have no control over the process. As it is very common to use the
> > PPA within the context of a configuration management system (Salt, Chef,
> > etc), it would be best to leave that decision up to the user.
>
> What do you mean by "restart logic"?
>
> I could see the point in adding some START_THE_SERVER variable to
> /etc/default/rabbitmq-server, would that help?
>
> Cheers, Simon
>
> --
> Simon MacMullen
> RabbitMQ, Pivotal