[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-server won't run (3.3.3)

dkent david at artisongs.com
Tue Jun 24 13:12:38 BST 2014

I know exactly why this happens (after a long troubleshooting session.)  it's
line 91 of rabbit_prelaunch.erl:
-> rabbit_misc:quit(?DIST_PORT_CONFIGURED)
If the script detects inet_dist_listen_min and inet_dist_listen_max are set,
it will exit with DIST_PORT_CONFIGURED, which has a value of 2.  In fact,
you can cause the crash and immediately perform "echo $?" from the command
line and you'll see the proper code being returned.  In the case of a 0
value, -e (errfail) is not invoked and the rabbitmq-server script may
continue. However, that will cause the port to be set to 25672 by
rabbitmq-server. You can confirm this with "epmd -names".  In short,
rabbit_prelaunch.erl will disrupt rabbitmq-server on any non-zero exit code.

One way to fix this and still keep -e is to add " && :" to the end of the
call to ${ERL_DIR}erl on line 98 of rabbitmq-server.  This is one of the
operator expressions that will defeat errfail and the exit code will
survive.  This is how I have my script running now.  I want to be able to
set this inter-node port and keep my firewall ports grouped by value and
consistent.

If this is truly a deprecated option, please let us know.