[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-server won't run (3.3.3)

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jun 17 14:41:41 BST 2014

On 17/06/2014 2:21PM, Kyle O'Donnell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just updated to rabbitmq-server 3.3.3 and running ./rabbitmq-server start no longer works.  If I run bash rabbitmq-server start it works fine.

Hmm, what is /bin/sh on your system? And why are you giving it the
command line flag "start"? - that's not necessary.

> It looks like the following was added in this release, can someone tell me why if this was on purpose?
>
> rabbitmq 3.3.3
> $ head -1 rabbitmq-server
> #!/bin/sh -e
>
> On rabbitmq 3.0.4:
> $ head -1 rabbitmq-server
> #!/bin/sh

It was added on purpose. "-e" means "halt on error", by default sh will
carry on even if something fails. We've had cases where that means
something that should be a comprehensible failure is instead made rather
less comprehensible.

But damn, if that's causing a breakage for you that's not great news.
Are you seeing an error message?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen