[rabbitmq-discuss] Message order of delivery

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Sun Jan 26 14:57:08 GMT 2014

On 26 Jan 2014, at 16:27, Mysurf Mail <stammailbox at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, if I need to handle messages by their Order, I can only use rabbitMQ with an exclusive queue  to each consumer?
> Is RabbitMQ still considered a good solution for ordered message queuing?

The problem is with multiple consumers some of which may re-queue messages. In such scenarios,
preserving original message ordering would require synchronization of all consumers, with which performance would
go out the window.

If you don’t have multiple consumers per queue or do not re-queue messages, the issue
is not relevant to you. Using exclusive queues does not prevent you from having multiple
consumers on it, by the way, but you can make a consumer exclusive. Note that this is
a rarely used feature that some clients may entirely omit from the API.

MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ