[rabbitmq-discuss] Latest revision of NYTimes site is supported by RabbitMQ - launched 8 January 2014

Laing, Michael michael.laing at nytimes.com
Wed Jan 8 19:26:02 GMT 2014

Just a quick note and thank you to the RabbitMQ team for a great product.

Our premier online offering www.nytimes.com has a new look and new
underpinnings, now including a messaging architecture implemented using
RabbitMQ.

This architecture - nyt⨍aбrik - has dozens of RabbitMQ instances spread
across 6 AWS zones in Oregon and Dublin. The instances are organized into
"wholesale" and "retail" layers. Connection to clients is via
websockets/sockjs.

Upon launch today, the system autoscaled to ~500,000 users. Connection
times remained flat at ~200ms.

nyt⨍aбrik provides subscription services for breaking news, video feeds,
etc. and will add more event based services. It also supports individual
messaging related to subscription status for registered users.

This system would not have been possible without RabbitMQ. It was the one
component, used everywhere, that never faltered or failed.

We look forward to contributing our own code to the open source community
but it will be difficult to match the quality of this outstanding product
and its supporting team.

Michael Laing
Systems Architect
NYTimes